- Boater Safety Classes are for ALL Ages and Free of Charge (Courtesy of Hillsdale County Sheriff's Office).
- Classes are from 9:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. Registration begins at 8:30 A.M. No advance registration is required. Class size may be limited by space. There WILL BE NO LATE ADMITTANCE.
- Students will earn their certification in one day.
WHO NEEDS THE CLASS?
Anyone born ON or AFTER July 1, 1996 may operate a boat leagally only if they possess a Boating Safety Certificate and have it in their possession. Those who are 14 or 15 years of age may operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC) legally ONLY if they have obtained a Boating Safety Certificate and:
- He or she is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian or by a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent of legal guardian OR
- He or she is operating or riding the PWC at a distance of not more than 100 feet from his or her parent or legal guardian or from a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian.
Those at least 16 years of age AND born AFTER December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a Boating Safety Certificate, and it is on board the boat.
Note: Online classes are available through the DNR website http://www.mi.gov/dnr. A fee of approximately $30.00 may be charged. You are no longer required to take a proctored exam to earn your certificate.
2018 Boater Safety Class Schedule
- June 9, 2018
Somerset Beach Campground - Athletic Building Annex
9822 Brooklawn Court
Somerset Center, MI 49282
4 miles west of US-127, south off US-12
Bring a sack lunch
Please contact the Sheriff's Office at (517) 437-7317 and ask Sergeant Scott Keller for more details about our Boater Safety classes.