As Hillsdale County Lakes begin to freeze, The Hillsdale County Sheriff's Department warns local residents to use extreme caution. The urge to ice fish is great, however Lt. Parker warns area fishermen and women to check ice conditions completely before heading out for that "First Ice Fishing" run of 2016. Lt. Parker, in charge of both the Dive team and the Marine Division, advises that ice can be very dangerous. The extreme cold water can immobilize the strongest swimmer quickly. Parker provides a few tips to make this winter season on the ice one to remember not one to regret:
1. On all unknown water/ice use a spud to test the ice as you head out.
2. Always take someone with you and let someone know where you will plan to fish, don't devite from any plan provided to others.
3. Use or carry a Flotation device, Boat cushion, Inflatable PFD.
4. Carry a couple large nails or spikes for use to pull yourself out from the ice.
5. Carry along a section of rope with an attached bar or stick for throwing a rope to someone.
Sheriff Stan Burchardt would like to remind everyone that the Hillsdale County Sheriff's Department is providing a couple of valuable classes this spring and summer.
HCSD continues to provide the very best in Concealed Pistol Classses in Michigan. Our department was one of the first to offer Pistol Safety Classes once the law changed in 2001. Our instructors are the very same instructors that train all of our staff concerning Firearms Safety, tactical Use and legal authority for use. We offer a limited number of these classes per year, so click here to see our 2016 Firearms Safety Class Schedule.